Friday, 23 March 2007


After a hot cooked breakfast and watching the local dingos scouting around the buildings and Stinson we fueled up ($2.36 per litre) ouch! and we were airborne by 9am heading for our next stop of Ceduna.

Kev initially tracked due south and dropped over the cliffs of the Great Australian Bight to show us the most magnificent rock faces and panoramic view of the coastline for as far as you could see. I had been across the Nulla before and looked out over the edge but this angle of the cliffs was just mind blowing. Turning east we ran along the cliffs out over the ocean and on up to the Head of the Bight, then down along the beaches running 30 feet above the waves. The water was crystal clear blue with white tipped waves breaking in long lines – What a buzz!

Climbed up to 1500 ft and on to Ceduna by 11. The first sighting of the airfield was a very large strip, wide open taxi ways and a cute arrival centre. Sarah pointed out a paddock planted with trees in a unique pattern – big bird? Then I saw the windsock!! It was nearly across the strip. Lady Bird does not like cross winds due to her large wings which blanket the rudder. But once again Kev landed us safely and taxied very slowly across the slope to a tie down area. The wind was so strong I had to get out and act as a wheel chock (stop laughing!!) until he found some bricks to chock her with. We caught a taxi into town looking for specialty tools to aid in opening up the locker door. Bugger!! Saturday and everything was closed. We were lucky enough to catch a deli just closing up and enjoyed home-made sausage rolls for lunch.

Back to the airport and the silence was broken by the arrival of the Nanchang, Texan and a CT4, all W.A. pilots also heading toward Avalon Air show in Victoria. Fueled and oiled, we taxied once again through the blustering cross wind for a departure for Port Lincoln – down the Eyre Peninsular.

Beautiful flight of 1.5 hours down a picturesque coast with a smooth descent down from 5,500 feet into Port Lincoln. The town itself was to our right on the Bay – a pretty sight. The field was of first class standard as regular commercial flights operated from there. Our next challenge was obtaining fuel on a Saturday without a carnet card, as one had been delayed in the post and we only had a faxed letter and copy of it. A few local aviators came to our assistance with a phone that worked (CDMA needed) and called the re-fueller who agreed to come out next morning.

Another local offered us a lift to our motel – nothing was too much trouble. We settled into our pretty room with a 4 poster bed at the First Landing Motel. A beautiful take-away fish dinner we retired for a well earned sleep.

First however we needed a briefing for our first serious water crossing planned for the next morning. Detailed procedures for a ditching were practiced including the use and inflation of our life jackets. The knowledge from this discussion boosted Sarah’s confidence and eased any apprehension she had been feeling.

No comments:

Stinson Reliant SR8C VH-UXL

Stinson Reliant SR8C VH-UXL
over Perth city (Photo: Greg Hill)

About Us

My photo
Flying farming couple who live on 135 acres. Kev is obsessed by aeroplanes. Vicki is devoted to horses and White Swiss Shepherds.